February 6, 2014

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick: Book Review

my life next door Genre: YA Contemporary
Release Date: June 14th 2012
Series: My Life Next Door #1 (a companion is in the works)
Source: Library

One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time."

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another. (via goodreads)

My Thoughts: I’ve been going on a ‘contemporary binge’ for the past couple of months so it’s no surprise that My Life Next Door should find it’s way into my hands! To go into this book having high hopes would be a large exaggeration. I had COLLOSSAL hope for this one and I think that is probably why I didn’t love it as much as other people have.

This book starts out with Samantha in her house on a seemingly ordinary day. Then, she meets Jase and they quickly become friends. And then they hang out often and we all know where this is going, correct? Even if this plot seems a little cliché, it was still interesting and entertaining to read. 

The characters were very interesting. Although Sam seems a little cliché, I really liked her. Her inner-monolgue was really fun to read and I really liked her sense of humour. I never found myself being too annoyed at her and I felt that she had a strong voice. I also really liked Jase and his complexity. Even though he seems like the typical nice guy (and next door neighbour), he actually had some depth and I really enjoyed reading about him. I also really liked Tim, a side character that definitely needs his own novel (and he is getting it!) I loved that the characters were all complex and had substance compared to characters in other books.

Contrary to what the synopsis may sound like, there is no insta-love with this one. Sure, there is obviously like insta-LIKE but I think that’s to be expected. I really enjoyed how the romance flowed and how Sam and Jase came to like each other over time. It was adorable to read! Besides the cute romance, I really liked the family dynamic that this book had. The Garrett’s (Jase’s family) have a large family and it is so intriguing and unique to see in a book. Families are usually outcast in a lot of YA novels and I loved that this book showed a different perspective on that.

Despite everything I liked about this book, I still wasn’t wowed. I really enjoyed it and it was a fun and cute read but I felt that there was nothing too special about it. I definitely recommend it to people looking for a swoony summer romance because seriously, it was really enjoyable!

three starsHave you read My Life Next Door? What did you think about it? If not, is this book on your TBR list/pile? Are you thinking about reading it? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!