February 17, 2014

Freakboy by Kristin Elizabeth Clark: Book Review

Genre: YA Contemporary, Verse Novel
Release Date: October 22nd 2013
Series: Stand-alone
Source: Library
image source
From the outside, Brendan Chase seems to have it pretty easy. He’s a star wrestler, a video game aficionado, and a loving boyfriend to his seemingly perfect match, Vanessa.

But on the inside, Brendan struggles to understand why his body feels so wrong—why he sometimes fantasizes having long hair, soft skin, and gentle curves. Is there even a name for guys like him? Guys who sometimes want to be girls? Or is Brendan just a freak?

In Freakboy's razor-sharp verse, Kristin Clark folds three narratives into one powerful story: Brendan trying to understand his sexual identity, Vanessa fighting to keep her and Brendan’s relationship alive, and Angel struggling to confront her demons. (via goodreads)
My Thoughts: I’ll admit, I’m not a fan of verse novels. They always confused me and the overwhelming amount of metaphors made me want to roll my eyes continuously. However, Freakboy was very different. Although the writing is considered a verse novel, the story flows smoothly and I loved all the different point of views.

The characters were so interesting and unique. First we had, Brendan. A teenage boy struggling to learn more about himself and he was trying to discover who he is. I don’t want to spoil too much but I will say that his inner struggle is just so well-written and I absolutely loved reading his point of view. On the other hand, I disliked Vanessa at times. She was a little confused about herself and who she was as well but I never really connected to her. Angel, however, was my favourite character. I seriously loved her and the fact that she was comfortable with who she was. I also loved how she tried to help others be more comfortable with themselves. These characters were all interesting and just so interesting to read about.

The overall plot was also very entertaining and it was just phenomenally written. The verse elements of the book were woven in so well and they actually helped the overall plot. There were few big plot twists but I think that’s to be expected with these types of novels. There were also romance elements (well the whole book revolved around Brendan/Vanessa’s relationship) but I don’t really think that those elements were well-defined.

Overall, Freakboy is a wonderfully well-written LGBT verse novel about discovering what it means to be happy, and what it means to be yourself.
four stars
 Have you read Freakboy? What did you think about it? If you haven’t read it, are you planning to soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!