December 6, 2013

Somebody Up There Hates You by Hollis Seamon: Book Review

Somebody Up There Hates YouGenre: YA Contemporary
Release Date: September 3rd 2013
Series: Stand-alone
Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: Bought

Chemo, radiation, a zillion surgeries, watching my mom age twenty years in twenty months: if that’s part of the Big Dude’s plan, then it’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? Somebody Up There Hates You.

SUTHY has landed me here in this hospice, where we—that’s me and Sylvie—are the only people under 30 in the whole place, sweartogod. But I’m not dead yet. I still need to keep things interesting. Sylvie, too. I mean, we’re kids, hospice-hostages or not. We freak out visitors; I get my uncle to sneak me out for one insane Halloween night. Stuff like that. And Sylvie wants to make things even more interesting. That girl’s got big plans.

Only Sylvie’s father is so nuclear-blasted by what’s happened to his little girl, he glows orange, I swear. That’s one scary man, and he’s not real fond of me. So we got a major family feud going on, right here in hospice. DO NOT CROSS line running down the middle of the hall, me on one side, her on the other. It’s crazy.

In the middle of all of this, really, there’s just me and Sylvie, a guy and a girl. And we want to live, in our way, by our own rules, in whatever time we’ve got. We will pack in some living before we go, trust me. (via goodreads)

My Thoughts: When I saw this book in stores, I knew I had to pick it up, and I’m glad I did. This book was really great and I recommend it to anyone looking for a contemporary novel with a unique main character. I want to mention the cover and title for a second. For once, the cover of this book and the tile relate so well to the book, just overall praise to the cover designers.

Somebody Up There Hates You was really good, interesting and realistic but it doesn’t really have a lasting impression. That doesn’t mean I think of the book any less or that I won’t recommend it to others, I really liked this book but it slipped my mind a few days after I finished reading it. Other than that, this book is just amazing. The main character, Richard, was really unique. I really enjoyed reading the book and seeing this world through his eyes. It’s always refreshing to read through the point of view of a male character, and this one is no different. Richard seems to fit into more of the typical teenager status which I really enjoyed. It was interesting to see how a teenager now would react (realistically) to being in a hospice where it’s obvious he has little chance of getting out.

In general, this book was short and interesting. Some parts were graphic and sometimes a little too realistic that I forgot I was reading something not actually written by an experienced author-which I think was really unique. I really liked the main characters but explaining my individual love for all them would take too long. I should also mention that there was one part of the book where I audibly gasped, that plot twist was really great! I’m obviously not going to share it with you but once again it was just so realistic, there may have been tears, I’m not going to lie. Overall, if you are looking for a refreshing short contemporary novel with a realistic male protagonist, this is the one for you!

Have you read Somebody Up There Hates You? If so, did you also like it? If not, does it seem like your kind of book? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!