December 29, 2013

[Readiculous End of the Year Celebration] Songs of the Year!

end of the year
The Readiculous End of the Year Celebration is an event hosted here that celebrates this year! Click here for more info or to sign up

Today’s post honours songs that have constantly been on repeat this year! They can be old or new and can have significant meaning to you or just pure entertainment! I will include some of my favourite songs that I’ve been enjoying a lot this year and let me know what you think of these! I’ve included a Spotify playlist to go with these so listen along if you can! (side note: upon editing, I’ve noticed that all these songs have a ‘love interest’ in mind and I am seriously wondering what is happening)

033
Songs of the Year 
(in random order & with favourite lines)

1. Ribs by Lorde: I bought Lorde’s album when it first came out and I am OBSESSED with this song! It’s just catchy and perfect to even out my usually upbeat playlist.
You're the only friend I need
Sharing beds like little kids
And laughing 'til our ribs get tough
But that will never be enough


2. Ghost by Chelsea Lankes: I actually discovered this on Rachel’s blog and I listened to this song repeatedly for two weeks straight! This song now appears on most of my playlists and is always on my mind.
You got me chasing promises on the horizon
They come and go all these visions come and go


3. Winter Winds by Mumford & Sons: Mumford & Sons is my favourite band of all time and I love all of their songs equally but I think this song is one I would recommend to everyone in a heartbeat. I just love this song so much, the opening line (listed below) is just so catchy and great and the banjo in this song (and all their songs) is pretty spectacular too.
As the winter winds litter London with lonely hearts
Oh, the warmth in your eyes swept me into your arms


4. Swimming by Florence + the Machine: Florence + the Machine is also one of my favourite artists and I really love this song. I tried to choose one song of hers to add to the playlist and this one jumped out at me. I love all her songs but this one is the one that I’d be singing and dancing to the most.
Your songs remind me of swimming,
Which I forgot when I started to sink


5. Crooked Teeth by Death Cab for Cutie: For reasons I can’t explain, I love this song and it’s cryptic yet fun to dance to.
And you can't find nothing at all,
If there was nothing there all along.


6. Starring Role by Marina and the Diamonds: This is not the type of song I would usually listen to but I really like it. The beat is really catchy and I can actually hear the lyrics fully (unlike some songs of this genre).
It almost feels like a joke to play out the part
When you are not the starring role in someone else's heart


7. At the Indie Disco by The Divine Comedy: This song was in the playlist of/appeared in a book I really loved called This Song Will Save Your Life. This song is really catchy and every time I listen to it, it just reminds me of the book.
We go down to the indie disco every Thursday night
Dance to our favourite indie hits until the morning light


8. Youth by Daughter: This is one of the sadder/slower songs I listened to this year but it was still great. When I got sad, I would listen to this song and it just helped me feel better (which is a little strange because wouldn’t sad music make me even more miserable?).
And if you're still breathing, you're the lucky ones.
'Cause most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs.
033
Have you listened to any of these songs this year? Have you heard of these songs before? If not, which ones caught your eye? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!