December 3, 2013

Incarnate by Jodi Meadows: Book Review

Incarnate (Newsoul, #1)Genre: YA Fantasy, Romance
Publication Date: January 31st 2012
Series: Newsoul #1
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
Source: Bought

NEWSOUL
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

NOSOUL
Even Ana's own mother thinks she's a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she'll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

HEART
Sam believes Ana's new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana's enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else's life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life. (via goodreads)

My Thoughts: I’ve had this book sitting on my bookcase since the summer so I’m glad I finally gave it a chance. I really like the premise behind this book. This plot takes place in a world where every soul is reincarnated into new bodies with memories intact about their past lives. Suddenly, Ana is born and when she is put into a soul scanner (they still need farming and other medieval means of survival yet they have soul scanners?!) they find that Ana can’t be identified. She’s a Nosoul and her birth is seemingly connected to the disappearance of an already pre-existing soul. This obviously makes Ana an outcast and her “mother” is trurely evil and terrible to her. The beginning of the book had a lot of info-dumping that mixed with Ana’s self doubt, sometimes get confusing but I can see why it is necessary.

Although this book was in first person point of view, it felt very disconnected. Instead of seeing the world through Ana’s eyes, I seemed to see it from outside of her body. I felt that the first person point of view was very disconnected and that everything Ana was feeling, felt too fake. Despite the detachedness I felt, I think Ana was an alright main character. I felt that there was nothing really special about her but she was likeable. It was interesting to see how she saw herself as a disgrace because of her upbringing but other people *cough cough* Sam *cough cough* didn’t.

To discuss the love interest, I need to talk about the romance. So when Sam and Ana first meet, I immediately shipped them. I am a shipper through and through and I saw them together but as time went on, I started to doubt it. You know those parts of the book where something shocking happens and then all the characters are like “Don’t trust *insert love interest name here*, he/she is actually evil/using you/being a jerkface!” and the main character is like “I can’t believe it!” and then the main character becomes very very sceptical. In this book, the opposite happened. When said shocking thing happened, the main character was like “NO NEVER HE WOULD NEVER” and I was like “WAIT HE TOTALLY WOULD” (inner monologue is the best). So then I doubted Sam and I still do. How can we trust him? And to be honest, before this happened, he was semi-swoon worthy. I liked their romance but honestly, like Ana, Sam was nothing special.

Overall, I think that Incarnate was cute with an interesting setting and unique world building. I liked the romance but I am still a little dubiuos of the love interest, Sam. I also felt that Ana, the main character, is nothing special and easily tolerable unlike in most books. I might read the sequel sometime in the future, but not anytime soon because I feel no urgency to.

Have you read Incarnate? What did you think? Do you agree with me? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Heh, do they really have a soul scanner? Huh, well that's interesting, especially in combination with really old technology. Well, I can't say I've ever been super interested in reading this book and hearing from you that the characters and romance were nothing special doesn't make me want to read the book any more. Maybe if the final book does well in reviews, I'll think about rethinking my stance on the series, but until then, I don't feel as though I am missing out by not reading this one. Really great review though!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!