December 21, 2013

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor: Book Review

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)Genre: YA Paranormal Fantasy/Romance
Release Date: September 27th 2011
Series: Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1
Source: Library
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hairactually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself? (via goodreads)
My Thoughts: I picked up this book at my local library because of all the raving reviews I’ve read recently and in the past. I can totally see why Daughter of Smoke & Bone is so highly recommended. This book is full of unique characters, an interesting romance and epic worldbuilding.

Readers are first introduced to Karou. It’s a little confusing at first because readers barely know anything yet the tone of the novels suggests that we should and then there is a lot of infodumping. Despite the beginning, the rest of the book was pretty good. I know a lot of others have complained about the slow pacing and at first I disagreed, but I see that the beginning is a lot tougher to get through but it will all be worth it, trust me!

I liked Karou but of course, some her actions annoyed me. I thought she was entertaining and enjoyable compared to most YA heroines but I still didn’t find that special connection with her. I think that over time, I’ll grow to like her more and more especially since we didn’t learn too much about her. On the other hand, Akiva was just awesome. (Excuse the fangirling for the next few parts) Akiva was pretty amazing to read about and I was so excited to read through his eyes. (Oh, did I mention that it has somewhat of a dual point of view?). Not only was Akiva kind of the best character ever, the romance was pretty awesome too. It had a lot of insta-love at first (not insta-“like” but LOVE) but once it was explained through means that I can not explain for fear of spoilers, it made A LOT of sense and I was practically giggling reading it.
The plot of this book was interesting and very unique. Karou’s sketchbook was a great addition to the story and I really enjoyed the overall world building. This book has what you can call “angels” but they’re not your classic angels. They are very unique and I seriously loved the world-building. I would love to elaborate but I fear some spoilery so I will leave it at that.

Overall, I really enjoyed Daughter of Smoke & Bone and I thought it was an interesting read. This book has a lot of romance but the other components are amazing which totally makes up for it. Daughter of Smoke & Bone is an awesome start to what I’m sure is an amazing series. I highly recommend it to paranormal fantasy lovers looking for a swoon-worthy romance to accompany the epic plot.


Have you read Smoke & Bone? What did you think? If you haven’t read it, are you considering it? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!