November 25, 2013

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi: Book Review

Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)Genre: YA Dystopian Romance
Release Date: February 3rd 2013
Series: Shatter Me #2 (Book one)
Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: Bought
If you haven’t read the first book, scroll past the synopsis-it contains spoilers for the first book. My review is as always, spoiler free for the whole series.

Juliette has escaped from The Reestablishment. Now she's free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch. Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible. Haunted by her past and terrified of her future, Juliette knows that she will have to make some life-changing choices. Choices that may involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life. (via goodreads)

My Thoughts: I should start by mentioning that I liked Shatter Me (book one) a lot more than this one. Not that this book wasn’t amazing, it was. Unravel Me just didn’t have a the same lasting impression on me that Shatter Me had.

Basically, (for fear of spoilers) after Shatter Me we are left with all these info-dumps and information about the actual setting/world building. I’m not going to lie, I know the gist of all this type of information concerning the novels but honestly, I tend to focus more on the characters and romance of a novel. If I like the world building, I will not mention it unless it was terrible or phenomenal. If it’s interesting, I just tend to not mention it (like in this case) so beware, the world building and overall plot of this book is awesome but I won’t really rant about it.

In the first book, I actually liked Juliette, our protagonist. I was surprised. I even doubted if I actually liked her or if I just wanted to. However, in this book, Juliette leans towards the side of typical YA heroines and I started getting annoyed of her.Luckily, Kenji, a secondary character and a personal favourite, would always say EXACTLY what I wanted to tell Juliette. If she messed up, he would tell her to suck it up. He reminded her that the world does not revolve around her and I loved him for it. Near the end of the book, I got so fed up with Juliette that I wanted to hurl my book at the wall.

post-10510-You-sicken-me-qBtx_zps4400f109 

The romance in this book was well developed. After reading Shatter Me, I asked myself “what is team Warner and why does it even exist,” I totally get it now, I really do. We get to learn more about Warner and I’m so conflicted about my feelings, who do I root for? At the beginning of the book, the Adam and Juliette feels were everywhere but then I got all confused and I didn’t even know what to think when Warner came back into the picture. There was one part where Juliette annoyed me SO MUCH in terms of the romance but alas, this is supposed to be spoiler-free. Honestly, I have no idea what’s going to happen next but I hope whatever happens, it won’t annoy me to death.

tumblr_mh0btvAaCm1s39wnco1_250

Basically, although this book wasn’t as impacting as Shatter Me, it was still an amazing sequel. We get to learn more about various characters,  see the romance build and experience more of the awesome world building. I really enjoyed the setting of these book and it is seriously an amazing dystopian novel. I highly recommend this series if you are looking for a great dystopian novel with some intense romance.

Have you read Unravel Me? Did you like it more or less than Shatter Me? If not, are you planning on starting the series soon? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this sequel, though not as much as the first. I agree, Kenji is awesome! I hope we see a lot of him in the next one. I was confused about the Team Warner stuff too til I heard about that one chapter... I'm still on Team Adam though. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooo! I'm a romance and character girl too <3 when I read that little bit on how you don't really comment of world building either, I was like, testify! haha I really enjoyed Shatter Me but the ending was a bit 'eh' for me. On the otherhand, I loooved Unravel Me, mostly because it was more consistent in the plot, and well, WARNER. If you're not fully on the Warner train, you need to read the novella Destroy Me :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!