November 29, 2013

[Guest Post] Time to Meet the Neighbours!

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)Well, hi there! I'm Kari, otherwise known as that probably-too-peppy-girl in the NeighbouringOpinons videos, along side your usual morning host, the-ready-to-ramble, Shelly! As you probably already know, Shelly has been finding herself swamped with tasks…so swamped I heard she just ran into Shrek and Donkey (Yeah, I make way too many media references, I know). So today as you chomp on your Rice Krispies and and hear that refreshing Snap, Crackle, Pop, picking up the bowl and pouring down the last drop of cool milk onto your salivating tongue, feast on one of my favourite reads…The Knife of Never Letting Go, written by the epic Patrick Ness.

Where to start? Well the beginning is as good a place as any! Here we are taken into the mind of young Todd Hewitt, meet his talking dog Manchee (Think UP!), and the very strange town of Prentisstown. Here your ears are constantly placed prisoner, hearing the never-ending thoughts of everyone in the town…um creepy? YES! Imagine this! It's unimaginable! How nerve-wracking it is to not be able to keep your own thoughts private, to not be able to have secrets! Having all of your dirty laundry out to dry…its terrifying, overwhelming. But then again, no one can keep secrets from you. Sorting through all the Noise, you will find the truth, but here comes the age-old question…is it better not to know? Because, as Patrick Ness showcases in a countless amount of his books, the truth…is scary. It's honest, and raw, cut open and able to bleed. Is ignorance bliss?

Deep thoughts aside, lets talk writing. Patrick Ness, oh Patrick Ness. The characters emotions and actions were oh so very realistic, and as a reader you could easily understand the choices they made. The world building is truly amazing, the writing style is just SO strange yet SO effective! It all takes place at such a fast pace, that it feels like your running along side the characters to keep up. It's exhilarating.

This is just the first book in the Chaos Walking Trilogy, I've been quite swamped too, but when I finally make my way to a clear patch, I can't wait to start The Ask and the Answer (the 2nd book).

Well anyhow, it was nice meeting you all! I'm sorry I didn't have time to bake you an apple pie, as proper neighbours do. Maybe next time? So let me know, have you read the Chaos Walkiing trilogy yet? Do you plan to? Do the books stay as awesome throughout, or does it run dry of magic? Please don't tell me they do! Well until next time I bid adieu.

Kari

Thanks so much for posting, Kari! So, what did you think of The Knife of Never Letting Go? I haven’t read it yet but I’m also eager to hear your opinions! Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the sound of this book! I need a new trilogy to keep me going, since the second / third books of the ones I already love aren't out for ages lol.

    Oh, and no worries about the apple pie - I prefer rhubarb anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!