November 27, 2013

[Guest Post] Annie Recommends Books by Canadian Authors!

Hi everyone! I'm Annie from The Runaway Reader and I'm here to take over Shelly's blog for today!

One of the first things I discovered about Shelly was that she's a Canadian too and being a Canadian myself, I'm always really excited to find fellow Canadian book bloggers! So today, for my guest post, I thought I'd share some of my favourite books by Canadian authors. You know, just to share the Canada love!

The Night CircusThe Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I just finished this book recently and really enjoyed it! It's a really beautiful book about a circus and Morgenstern's prose in this book is absolutely gorgeous. For those who have read Harry Potter, it's reminiscent of J.K. Rowling's writing - descriptive and magical. Reading this made me feel like I was experiencing the circus right there with the characters!

Haunting Violet

Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey

Haunting Violet is the first Canadian Young Adult I remember reading and loving. It's a historical fiction set in the 1800's, mostly focused around the idea of fraudulent mediums at that time. It's a mystery as well and - as if this book didn't have enough awesome - there's also a really cute boy! So if you like those things in your YA books, then check this one out! It was really good!

Neil Flambe and the Marco Polo MurdersNeil Flambe and the Marco Polo Murders

This one is a middle-grade pick but still, really awesome! It's a mystery with a fourteen-year-old chef as the main character, trying to get behind what's causing all these famous chefs to die suddenly. One of my favourite middle-grade novels, Neil Flambe is a light-hearted novel filled with originality that's sure to take you on a fun culinary journey.


Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

And last but not least, Anne of Green Gables! If you were going to choose only one book out of this list to read, I would HIGHLY reccommend it to be this one. It's really, REALLY good and also kind of a Canadian classic. I read Anne of Green Gables back in fourth grade and adored it. Anne is such a spunky character that you'll love, no matter how old you are. She's such a creative soul and inspires me to embrace the inner child in me and live life imaginatively and freely. You should definitely read this book!

Thanks Annie for an awesome list of books by Canadian authors! Have you read any of these books? If so, did you know the authors were Canadian? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. L.M. Montgomery! She is my No.1 Canadian author. I loved his Anne books, too, but if I have to pick a favorite it would be The Blue Castle :) I haven't read the others, but am quite curious about the The Night Circus. Great list!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!