November 19, 2013

Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King: Book Review

Everybody Sees the AntsGenre: YA  Contemporary
Release Date: October 3rd 2011
Series: Stand-alone
Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: Bought

Lucky Linderman didn’t ask for his life. He didn’t ask his grandfather not to come home from the Vietnam War. He didn’t ask for a father who never got over it. He didn’t ask for a mother who keeps pretending their dysfunctional family is fine. And he didn’t ask to be the target of Nader McMillan’s relentless bullying, which has finally gone too far.

But Lucky has a secret—one that helps him wade through the daily mundane torture of his life. In his dreams, Lucky escapes to the war-ridden jungles of Laos—the prison his grandfather couldn’t escape—where Lucky can be a real man, an adventurer, and a hero. It’s dangerous and wild, and it’s a place where his life just might be worth living. But how long can Lucky keep hiding in his dreams before reality forces its way inside? (via goodreads)

My Thoughts: This was my second A.S. King novel and I also enjoyed this one a lot too. It was interesting, realistic and just overall amazing. Lucky is one of my favourite YA protagonists. I’m bad at describing books I really liked but let’s just say I really respect him and I can easily see him as being someone I would want to be friends with. I loved his train of thoughts and his journey. I honestly just wanted to jump into the book, give him a hug and jump out.

Unlike most YA books, Lucky’s parents are present in this book. Family plays a large role in this book and it plays a role that is mostly unseen in novels. I honestly really liked Lucky’s mom but as we know, family life is not the easiest sometimes. I also loved learning more about Lucky and his grandfather and basically everything in this book, I wanted to know it all.

I thought this book was interesting and all the characters were well-written and just unique to read. I have one minor grievance that I noticed but I think it’s more of a personal thing. I’ve noticed this happened to me when I also read Please Ignore, Vera Dietz (another novel by A.S. King). When I finished this book, all I thought was “that’s it?” For me, I think a book needs to follow a hill shape, go uphill towards the climax and then lead slowly towards the ending. I noticed that this novel sort of made the journey halfway there. I felt like the last chapter was the big climax and then the book just ended. And that just confused me. I know A.S. King’s books are supposed to be inspirational and awe-inspiring but honestly, I don’t get it. I have a faint idea about what’s happening but I’m not sure what the big idea is. It’s frustrating but I think it’s just a personal issue, not something I think will happen to everyone.

Overall, Everybody Sees the Ants is an amazing novel full with themes of family, love and overcoming your fears. I feel that everyone will enjoy this book (whether they understand the ending or not).

Have you read Everybody Sees the Ants? Was the ending equally frustrating for you? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Aww, I've been wanting to check an A.S. King book out since FOREVER, and your review made me want it even more. I really should just get one of her books. Maybe I'll start with Everybody Sees Ants, I'm curious about that ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one abnormal title--I like it though! I haven't read anything by King but I need to! They sound brilliant. Glad you loved this one.

    Fab review, Shelly! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those endings.. so annoying! I love the fact that family plays a huge role in this book though :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read these but I've been meaning to! There's so much hype around A.S King, but I can totally empathise with your dislike for those sorts of endings. I hate the 'left you hanging' feeling but on the other hand, you get to imagine different what-ifs which I don't mind since I day dream a lot haha

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!