November 2, 2013

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter: Book Review

Alice in Zombieland (The White Rabbit Chronicles, #1)Genre: YA Fantasy/Horror/Paranormal
Release Date: January 1st 2012
Series: White Rabbit Chronicles #1
Rating: 4/5 stars
Source: Bought
She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.
Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….
My Thoughts: Before reading this book, I read several reviews that warned me not to go into this book thinking it’s a retelling of Alice in Wonderland because for the most part, it’s not. To me, it seems that the only thing those books share is a similar name. If you just tend to forget that it’s supposed to be a retelling of Alice in Wonderland, then this book is very enjoyable.

The setting and plot of this book was very interesting and unique. I really liked the monster/zombie elements because they were unique. Typically, zombies are dead humans brought back to life/those who rose from the dead, but that was not the case with this one. I also noticed a slightly religious undertone in this book. I actually haven’t read any other reviews mentioning it but I think it’s something that’s definitely there. The religious undertones aren’t really relevant to the actual plot but it is still there.

I really liked the characters in this book. Alice (or Ali) was actually very relatable and I love reading through her point of view. Her thoughts actually made sense and I loved her humour. I also really liked Ali’s best friend, Kat. Kat was a wonderful addition to this story and she is definitely a memorable best friend. Cole (the love interest) was interesting, mysterious and swoon-worthy but sometimes, he was just so confusing. One minute he’s all over Ali and the next he doesn’t even look at her?! I don’t understand what was going on with him but Ali also mentions it/brings it up so I’m glad to see that it was intentional.

The romance in this book was pretty cute. Cole and Ali are kind of perfect together. They actually get to know each other (a little bit) before anything really happens but the beginning of their romance is weird,paranormal and insta-lovelike. That annoys some people but after a while I think it really makes sense and it flows smoothly. Even though I really like Cole and Ali, another couple I really liked was Kat and Frosty. They aren’t exactly together but I ship them so hard and:

tumblr_mbysrcTLVg1recdwto9_500

I definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a paranormal book that has a fresh take on zombies or anyone looking for a swoon-worthy romance. I will definitely be reading the sequel sometime in the future.

Have you read Alice in Zombieland? Did you also enjoy it? Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Fab review, Shelly! I've been hearing so much buzz about this book and I'm glad I finally took the time to read a review for it. Paranormal isn't really my usual genre and I'm not a fan of zombies but I'm so curious about this one! I like that it has a swoonworthy romance (boy, do I love a fair share of that) and I'm really interested in the characters! Your mention of the religious undertone also intrigued me. I guess I have to get a copy and see those aspects myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many mixed reviews on this one I'm not sure if I still want to read it anymore but now after reading yours, I kinda want to read it again. Love the sound of the romance!

    Fabulous review! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this book :D It does sound pretty amazing. I am going to read it someday, just need more time. Sigh. Glad the characters were awesome :) Thank you for sharing. <3
    Thank you for commenting on my blog ages ago. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!