October 30, 2013

The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett: Book Review

The Nightmare Affair (The Arkwell Academy, #1)Genre: YA Fantasy
Publication Date: March 5th 2013
Series: The Arkwell Academy #1
Rating: 4/5 stars
*I read this book for October Secret Readers. Click to learn more about it.
Sixteen-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she’s a criminal. No, she’s a Nightmare.

Literally.

Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magickind, and living in the shadow of her mother’s infamy, is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker’s house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He’s hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn’t get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder.

Then Eli’s dream comes true.

Now Dusty has to follow the clues—both within Eli’s dreams and out of them—to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she’s up to and marks her as the next target.
My Thoughts: I’m not going to lie, I went into this book thinking that I would end up only liking it. Turns out, I kind of love this book. This book is for once, mainly a fantasy book. I always get annoyed with books that claim to be a genre but turn out to be romance so I’m glad that this book did not do that. Basically, Dusty (real name: Destiny) lives in a world where all the stories about goblins and fairies and harpies are true. They exist and the teenage ones go to a secret school called Arkwell Academy. Since Dusty is halfborn (only half monster-if monster is the right word), she developed her powers really late and is now struggling to deal with fitting in.

I really loved the characters. For once, our main character, Dusty, is smart, funny and can actually use her brain! I get annoyed seeing characters miss the obvious and Dusty did not do that. Also, Dusty’s best friend actually plays an important role in this book. Usually, best friends stay around but I never really remember to bother mentioning them because they’re not memorable. In this case, Dusty’s friend was. (I forgot her name but I know that she’s awesome!) Our main characters are also pretty cool but we kind of go from hating Eli to absolutely adoring him so I can see why that might bug some people but I was strangely ok with it.

Now, the romance. I thought this romance would be on the brink of a love triangle but it wasn’t. Strangely, I was kind of hoping for one and if it happened, I would have been totally okay with it (I can hear your gasp now!). I won’t really mention the love interest(s) for fear of spoilers but there is swooning and it is adorable. I also really enjoyed the setting and the fantasy elements. Basically, this book centers around a mystery that Dusty has to solve. It’s really interesting and I loved seeing all the fantasy elements play into it. I loved seeing all the different types of creatures and being and overall, the setting was just perfect.

I really recommend this book if you are looking for a light fantasy novel with an awesome main character and some swoon worthy love interests!

Have you read The Nightmare Affair? Does it sound like your sort of book? Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I have not yet read this but it sounds really good. I'm not a fan of love triangles so I hope this small one won't bother me much.

    Great review, luv! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome main character and some swoon worthy love interests is definitely something I enjoy! I'm glad you loved this one. Added this on my TBR-pile :)

    Thanks for the review Shelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this sitting on my ereader waiting for me! I wasn't sure I would really enjoy it either and had plans to only like it but now I'm actually excited to start reading =D Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!