October 24, 2013

Shelly Rambles: Commenting

sr.Shelly Rambles is a post in which I ramble and rant about some things that are bothering me. I’ll try to keep it as bookish related as possible but you never know.

This Week: Commenting (on blogs,social media, etc.)

I know I haven’t ranted in a while but I felt the need to. As a blogger, I love recieving comments on my posts. I also love commenting on other blogs, but sometimes, it becomes a hassle. I used to follow over 150+ blogs on Bloglovin’ and to this day I have no idea what compelled me to do so. I know have narrowed it down significantly but that still means I have my fair share of blogs to visit.

I love reading book reviews and memes and discussion posts but sometimes I don’t comment on them. And that makes me feel slightly guilty. I read the post and loved it but sometimes I don’t comment for two reasons:

1) I don’t feel the need to. This is a big one for me. Sometimes I’ll read a book review and I just won’t feel like commenting. This usually happens on blogs that don’t prompt readers to leave a comment. For example, at the end of all my posts I make a point of asking for your opinions but I have seen my fair share of bloggers miss this crucial step. I think it’s important for bloggers to prompt their readers to comment!

2) I don’t know what to say. This happens SO much when I read a discussion post. This is usually because of lack of knowledge towards the topic, intimidation and the blogger usually covers everything I would want to say! The intimidation comes from other comments. Sometimes I would read a discussion post and really like it but scroll down and I see a slew of long comments that are sometimes PARAGRAPHS long and I wouldn’t know how to compete with that! It makes me feel like whatever I have to say isn’t worth the blogger’s time and that sucks!

Well this was a long rant but I’m not done yet. Now I shall discuss commenting on social media. The only social media I “participate” in is Twitter (ok I have instagram too but I don’t really count it). On Twitter, you can reply to a tweet which is sort of like commenting in my opinion. Replying to a tweet makes me feel scared. What if my opinion isn’t valid? What if I just embarrassed myself? I think the worst is jumping into a conversation. I see so many great conversations happening on Twitter and to join even one, it takes a lot of courage for me. I have a huge fear of being left out in the blogging universe because my blog is so tiny (but hey, it’s mine) and I sometimes feel like my opinions don’t matter in the big giant internet universe. Wow, that’s a lot of stuff to be thinking about just based on Twitter, phew.

Ok now my little ramble is done. All I’m trying to say is that I sometimes feel guilty for not commenting or I feel embarrassed about what I do comment on.

Thanks for reading my little (or not so little) rant. What do you think about this whole “commenting” thing? Am I the only one who thinks like this? Let me know in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, sometimes I don't know what to say. But what's more awkward and seeming rude of me is when the blog only reviews erotica. I'm only 14 so I tend to avoid that stuff lol.

    Great post! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all kind of feel that way (or maybe it's just me, but I completely relate to everything you've said) Before I started actually sharing my thoughts on books with the internet, I didn't realize how important commenting was from a poster perspective (Proof that people are reading! Validation! SOMEONE OUT THERE IS LISTENING AND I'M NOT ALONE HERE! Am I projecting again?) Now that I've grasped just how gratifying comments can be, I'm trying to be better about it but it's hard. Like you said, sometimes you just don't have much to say for whatever reason.

    It is scary as hell to put yourself out there. My palms get sweaty even considering saying anything remotely personal on the internet. This goes for comments and twitter. But I've discovered that for the most part, when I do throw caution to the wind, there are some really awesome people out there (I'm looking at you Shelly) so I think it's worth it to be brave and boldly go where all of my neurosis and anxiety are loudly begging me not to go :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love commenting on other blogs. I always try to show comment love, even when I'm not really sure what to say. I like to quote pieces out of their post and say I agree with it. Everything to show them I've read it - and that I agree with it :) Reviews can be a little tricky, because it's hard to react on books you haven't read and I'm always afraid of getting spoilered.

    Twitter is SCARY. Busting in is scary, because I'm afraid people don't want me to talk to them. Or I'm afraid I say something stupid, especially when they don't continue the conversation :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on those too. Sometimes, I just don't feel like commenting. Other times, I really don't know what to say, especially if I haven't read the book. I fell that saying something like "it sounds interesting" is a waste of time.

    ALSO, I use Bloglovin' mostly from my phone, and it is so darn hard to comment! Sometimes, after I have written a substantial comment, it disappears! Obviously, it is because I hit a button or something, but I get sooo mad. AND, do bloggers with Captcha know how hard it is to read that thing on a phone?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a constant problem I face! Thankfully, I don't follow many blogs where blog tours and promo posts are always what's new, but I've noticed that I've come to view certain reviews -- particularly for self-published books -- as posts I don't want to comment on. It's just that I have nothing to say, and if I have nothing to say, I'd rather not say anything at all, instead of just leaving a shitty comment that makes no sense. That's one of the reasons why I don't comment on a person's blog even though they commented on mine, and trust me, it makes me feel SO guilty. I don't want to person to feel like I'm ignoring them, but at the same time, I just can't bring myself to leave a half-assed comment, you know?

    "I think it’s important for bloggers to prompt their readers to comment!" -- I totally agree with this. I've tried the question thing at the end of reviews in the past, and honestly, it wasn't that helpful because people tended to ignore it. So I gave up on it. Right now, I add appreciative gifs to the end of my posts to show commenters how grateful I am that they are leaving their thoughts. I guess that counts? :P

    And don't worry, a lot of people feel the same way on Twitter. I did, too, and it took me about two years to figure out that no one's going to care if you embarrass yourself on there. Unless there are people you know in real life who are following you, of course, which is the case for me. T_T It takes some time to get used to Twitter life and knowing that you can just jump into conversations and no one will mind at all, but once you get the hang of it, Twitter becomes a much funner place.

    Oh, and I agree with Lectus (above) about CAPTCHA! That's another reason why I dislike leaving comments. I'm not a robot, and no, I don't want to strain my eyes at blurry pictures to prove that I'm human. Sheesh, it's annoying!

    Great post, though! I'm looking forward to more rambles from you. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point on promos and tours, Megan. Not much to say about a daily cover reveal and tours. I do tours once in a while, but I review the book too. And cover reveals... Some bloggers do it way too much, and I really have nothing to coment on that?!

      Delete
  6. Well, I can DEFINITELY relate to the part where I don't comment and then feel guilty for it, especially on the blog of someone who keeps on commenting on mine. But of course, there are always those times when I just have nothing to say so I don't, because it's not as if it's my obligation to comment (whether or not it makes me feel horrible). But yeah it sort of sucks when I feel like my opinion will get overruled by everyone else's when I have so little to say. On some blogs though, it's a SUPER hassle to comment (Captcha and such? Eww), so I guess that's a deterrent. Otherwise, it's just that either I have nothing to say or am afraid to say what I have to. Quite like you! I only use Twitter too, but I LOVE joining conversations. I tend to start them actually, and it always makes me happy when someone replies :) I think you should conquer that though! It's not as intimidating as I thought it'd be, because a lot of bloggers out there do care about your thoughts. So yeah, great ramble :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to NEVER comment but I've definitely started doing it more. I love receiving comments and I do want to spread that love! However, with school, I am laxing off with my comments and instead of reading and then following up with one, I just read it and star it for my recap if it's interesting. Ideally I would comment on every post but I don't have the time and like you said, I have no clue what to say! Sometimes, I feel self-conscious when what I have to say is exactly like what someone else before me has said. I feel then they get a sense that I'm insincere or whatnot and so I just don't comment.

    And it took me a LONG time to get comfy with Twitter because there are so many people who have already formed friendships and so I feel awkward butting in. But once I did, I found everyone really nice and friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I definitely forget to prompt my readers a lot, especially when it's a review. I feel like asking "What did you think? Have you read it?" every single time would be a bit redundant.

    The "I have nothing to say one" is completely valid. Sometimes, there's a great post and you don't just want to say "hey I loved this" and then ... nothing else. That's why I like Twitter: you can say "I really liked this" or retweet and show appreciation without having to say anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I don't comment, it's usually because I either don't have anything to say that is worthwhile adding, or it may by the umpteenth review of the book, and I just don't feel like repeating something I already said.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!