October 8, 2013

Rainbow Rowell Book Signing: Recap Post

Me and Rainbow Rowell (I am on the left!)
Yesterday (October 7th), I went to a book signing for Rainbow Rowell! I was so excited and I’m saying this right now, the signing was WAY better than I thought it would be. Although I had to stand for 3+ hours, it was totally worth it. If possible, Rainbow is even more awesome in person!

I arrived at the bookstore at 5:45 and the signing was starting at 7. Already, there were no seats left so I ended up standing at the back. I was ok with it though, I had a pretty good view. While standing in line, I chatted to the people around me and they were all so nice! In line, I met Jen (who’s one of my neighbours friends) and she was super nice. She even created some fanart for Rainbow that was really cool! I also met Aylee who was also super sweet even though I ran away from her to reclaim my spot in the line up (they roped off where I was standing!)

Rainbow came out a few minutes late but everyone was too excited to care. Rainbow was just overall hilarious and sweet. She talked a little about writing her books & why she decided to write what she wrote. My memory is faulty so I don’t remember too much of what she said but she talked about some of her main characters and her own social anxiety. She also said that some of her characters have little parts of herself and her family/friends in them and I found that super cool. Rainbow also answered a couple of questions that included if she thought fandoms show a lot about a person (which she didn’t think so) and other fun stuff. Rainbow also said that she wants to write more about Eleanor and Park as adults. She made a pact with everyone that we wouldn’t get mad at her no matter what happens to the characters (including Park becoming a hairdresser). Next, Rainbow read a little from her book and added some anecdotes. She told us that Levi’s dirty hair is inspired by Robert Patterson. She also told us that her husband finally read Fangirl and he said that it wasn’t a YA novel, it was “eyebrow erotica”. I never noticed but apparently Levi’s eyebrows come up a lot in this book (his name is pronounced Lee-vi-I was sad). Rainbow was just a fantastic speaker and an overall entertaining person!

Me and Ariel Bissett (I am on the left)
After the chat & reading, the book signing actually started. I ended up waiting in line for about an hour but I once again talked to people around me and I ran to tell Aylee that I was sorry for running away from them (they totally understood, I needed my spot!) While in line, I also met Ariel Bissett (this booktuber who I absolutely adore)! Ariel was just super sweet and I even got to take a picture with her. She said that I made her feel super awesome and stuff, I was so happy! In line, the other people around me also told me how Ransom Riggs and Tahereh Mafi are married/are getting married! I was like WHAT! I literally yelled and jumped up and down, how have I not heard about this before? *excuse that little sidenote

When I got to Rainbow, my phone was being pissy but I got my pictures taken and stuff! Rainbow is so sweet and awesome. I told Rainbow about how I have a twin sister and how I feel like her books are actually realistic when it comes to being twins. I also told Rainbow about the book for Meg and how I met her and when I said that we met over a review for Fangirl she was like “Really?!” and I was like “yea!!” Rainbow was just super sweet and I told her that I love both of her books but that I love Eleanor & Park a little more so she posed with it for the picture. This signing was just amazing, I hope future book signings I attend will be just as awesome.
Me using my awesome hand motions to talk to Rainbow, I ramble
a lot, I know.
Have you read any of Rainbow Rowell’s books? If so, did you enjoy them? Doesn’t Rainbow sound so awesome in person?

12 comments:

  1. "Eyebrow erotica" <---lololol

    Oh man, it sounds like this was so much fun! I'm glad the event was everything you hoped it would be! And thank you so much for getting my book signed :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got to meet so many awesome people! I love that Rainbow's characters have little bits of her personality, because I feel that that makes her characters more real, in a sense, because she can connect to them and write them in a deeper kind of way. But whoa, waiting for THREE HOURS. Though I suppose it would be totally worth it if I went to see one of my favorite authors!

    LOL, I'm loving Rainbow's husband already. xD But really, if Levi does that a lot, then I must meet him. Not sure if that quirk would annoy me or amuse me, though... (I'm known for being really intolerant about a lot of things, unfortunately!) And thanks for introducing me to Ariel - can't believe I've NEVER heard of her, since she does so many videos wit Jesse (the Reader) and Catriona, but yay! Another book vlogger to stalk, muahahaha.

    I really hope I get to meet Rainbow at least once. So glad you had such a fun time, Shelly! Can't wait for your thoughts on FANGIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww sounds like you had such a great time! When I first started reading this all I could think was three hours in a line?! YUCK! But it obviously wasn't that bad because you kept yourself entertained with the other people in line and it actually sounded like a lot of fun! It's funny you didn't know about Tahereh Mafi and Ransom Riggs getting engaged. I only know because it was ALL over Twitter when it happened (or when they confirmed it). But if it weren't for that, you wouldn't be the only clueless person!

    Anyways, sounds like you had a great time Shelly :) I still haven't read a Rainbow Rowell book, but someday! Everyone is always talking about how amazing she is (both her writing and in person) so I feel like it has to happen eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have twitter! If I made an account, I'd get addicted so I tend to stay away from it! And besides, twitter isn't the best place to make an engagement announcement! ;)

      Delete
    2. I don't think I ever realized you didn't have a Twitter! Nothing wrong with that though! I took forever before I decided to, and I've never been good at it. haha.

      And yes, Twitter isn't the best place to announce it. But I can't say I'm too surprised >.>

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had a great time! Aren't signings fun? I am ashamed to say I have yet to read one of Rainbows books! Which one do you think I should start with? Eleanor and park?

    Dee @ Dee's Reads
    New bloglovin follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally need to read Eleanor & Park first, it was just amazing! & I'm not a romance person! :)

      Delete
  5. Woo, great recap!! My memory is a bit faulty as well because I was just so excited and flustered the entire time, but I believe you covered the important stuff! Man, was she ever funny!! I loved the eyebrow erotica line and how Levi's hair was inspired by Robert Pattison. It was a long night with lots of standing, but it was totally worth it to be able to chat with Rainbow for such a prolonged meeting (I rambled so much, too!). And of course it gave us plenty of time to chat even if you had to keep returning to your spot in line, haha! Speaking of, will I get to meet up with you again at the Ontario Blog Squad Meet-Up this year?? It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ontario Blog Squad Meet-up sounds fun but I'm not sure if I can go! It sounds awesome but the Suburbia side of me is scared! Besides, the tickets are sold out! :(

      Delete
    2. Awww :( Okay, maybe I'll see you again at another bookish event!

      Delete
  6. Ahh, so jealous! I adore her books. <3 so happy you got to meet her :) Thank you for sharing about it. <3
    Thank you for commenting on my blog. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my god, I'm so jealous! But I love your pictures. Thank you for the pictures (by the way, you look so cute!). I'm so sad I missed out on this because it sounds like there were so many awesome bookish people there! Smart you, getting there early. To be honest, my jaw kind of dropped when I heard you were there two hours ahead yet seats were still filled! I always expect no one to be at an event which honestly never works for me. Rainbow sounds so sweet! I haven't read Fangirl yet but I did love Eleanor & Park. Also her covers are the cutest! And omg I know, when I heard Tahereh and Ransom were married, I screamed! They're sooo cute! Anyway, glad you had a great time and I'm sad I wasn't there to experience it as well! :( I hope your future book signings will be as great as well!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!