October 16, 2013

Neighbouring Opinions: Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock

Neighbouring Opinions is a vlog that features me and my neighbour, Kari! 
Book Review: Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock

In addition to the P-38, there are four gifts, one for each of my friends. I want to say good-bye to them properly. I want to give them each something to remember me by. To let them know I really cared about them and I'm sorry I couldn't be more than I was—that I couldn't stick around—and that what's going to happen today isn't their fault.

Today is Leonard Peacock's birthday. It is also the day he hides a gun in his backpack. Because today is the day he will kill his former best friend, and then himself, with his grandfather's P-38 pistol.

But first he must say good-bye to the four people who matter most to him: his Humphrey Bogart-obsessed next-door neighbor, Walt; his classmate Baback, a violin virtuoso; Lauren, the Christian homeschooler he has a crush on; and Herr Silverman, who teaches the high school's class on the Holocaust. Speaking to each in turn, Leonard slowly reveals his secrets as the hours tick by and the moment of truth approaches.

In this riveting book, acclaimed author Matthew Quick unflinchingly examines the impossible choices that must be made—and the light in us all that never goes out.


Did you also enjoy Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock? Or are you planning to read it? Let us know in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. LEONARD PEACOCK! Okay, I must admit that I didn't feel as strongly for the book as the both of you did, but there's no denying that I was an emotional train-wreck throughout the course of the story (though I didn't cry at all, heh). The main reason I wanted to read the book was to find out why Leonard wanted to shoot himself and his ex-best friend, and if he would really go forward with that plan. Like you two said, the book isn't action-packed, but YES. Matthew Quick's writing is just intense in a... in an indescribable way.

    Another thing I really liked was how Leonard flashed back to several instances in his life. Like the time he met that girl at the train station -- Lauren, I think her name was -- and how he would pretend to be an adult for the day and ride to "work," and start to wonder if all working adults became lifeless zombies. I mean, it's such a weird thing for an eighteen-year-old kid like him to do, but in a way, you understand why he's doing it. Like, he's trying to find a place in the world. But no one wants to accept him. Other than Herr. (LOL about the "hair" joke.) I really liked Herr Silverman and how he was willing to help Leonard. I absolutely HATED Leonard's mother, though. That old hag!

    Anyway, awesome video, you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love books that involve going on a psychological adventure into a individuals mind! Sympathizing with characters emotions is my favourite part of reading. I also really loved Leonard's flashbacks to the past, the fact the entire story was told in 24 hours was such an interesting feature! Your comments are always so sweet and supportive, thanks for being another Herr in the world :3
      -Kari

      Delete
  2. GAH I need this one so badly! I have been always a fan of reading books about death and illnesses--I have this one reserved at the library however I haven't had the time to go and get it yet.

    Lovely video, you two! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! <3 Strange, I also read and watch a lot about disorders... I think it's because it makes me feel like I understand it better and can possibly help out :/
      -Kari

      Delete
  3. Ahhh. So like, I already have too many books but watching this video I feel all this PEER PRESSURE to go pause this video and go order this book as well and NO! I SHALL RESIST! I already ordered four books this week, you can't force me to buy more!

    But it does sound quite promising. Sometimes I'm weird and like stories that make me cry or talk about dark topics like suicide, so I'm quite interested. And I somehow missed that it's the same author who wrote Silver Linings Playbook (if that's what it's called). I won't be ordering it right now, but I'm definitely on my way to Goodreads to add it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PEER PRESSURE PEER PRESSURE PEER PRESSURE...Just kidding! So many books, and so little time! If you have any other dark topic books we can read and review, lettuce know! :)
      -Kari

      Delete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!