October 19, 2013

Antigoddess by Kendra Blake: Book Review

Antigoddess (Goddess War, #1)Genre: YA Fantasy
Publication Date: September 10th 2013
Series: The Goddess War #1
Rating: 3/5 stars
Source: Received an ARC from Rachel (thanks!)
Old Gods never die…
Or so Athena thought. But then the feathers started sprouting beneath her skin, invading her lungs like a strange cancer, and Hermes showed up with a fever eating away his flesh. So much for living a quiet eternity in perpetual health.

Desperately seeking the cause of their slow, miserable deaths, Athena and Hermes travel the world, gathering allies and discovering enemies both new and old. Their search leads them to Cassandra—an ordinary girl who was once an extraordinary prophetess, protected and loved by a god.

These days, Cassandra doesn’t involve herself in the business of gods—in fact, she doesn’t even know they exist. But she could be the key in a war that is only just beginning.
Because Hera, the queen of the gods, has aligned herself with other of the ancient Olympians, who are killing off rivals in an attempt to prolong their own lives. But these anti-gods have become corrupted in their desperation to survive, horrific caricatures of their former glory. Athena will need every advantage she can get, because immortals don’t just flicker out.

Every one of them dies in their own way. Some choke on feathers. Others become monsters. All of them rage against their last breath.

The Goddess War is about to begin. (via goodreads)
My Thoughts: I have been working on this review for a good two weeks now. I didn’t love this book and I didn’t hate it either so I’m not really sure what’s been taking me so long. Maybe it’s because the slow pacing of the book. At times, I had to force myself to keep reading. Not to say that this book wasn’t interesting, just the first half of the book felt like one long prologue (a lot of bloggers feel the same way). The first half basically switches between the point of view of Athena and the point of view of Cassandra. The book synopsis tells us that they meet and work together but it is well over 50% of the book when that happens. Also, readers are told a very important plot point (that the characters don’t know) WAY too early in the book. I felt that if they kept this little secret for little longer (the secret is the real identity of a character), it would have been more shocking and interesting.

Even though this book might have had a rough start, I’m not saying that the beginning was useless. We get introduced to the characters and we get a sense of what is happening to the gods. Athena is slowly dying due to feather build-up in her body. I may have developed a fear of feathers because of this, it feel too real. Besides a very real fear of feathers, I otherwise related to nothing in respect to the characters. All the characters were bland and lacked substance. Only Hermes had a slight sense of humour but even that wasn’t enough to make me like him. Also, the characters actions were very predictable and annoying. I just hated every decision that happened in this book. Although Cassandra’s brother and BFF were cute.

Despite all my reservations, this book was still very interesting and the mythology elements were surprisingly well written. I didn’t really like the main characters but I think the overall plot was well done and thought out. If this was more of a plot-driven book, I think I would have liked this book more. Since I read an ARC, the finished copy might have  fixed the bland characterisation and the predictableness of some of the events but I can’t tell for sure.

Have you read Antigoddess? Do you agree with some of the points I mentioned or do you think this book would work for you?


3 comments:

  1. I'm still interested in this book. It's a shame that the beginning isn't very interesting, because the whole mythology concept is so fascinating :) I'm happy that it's overall a good story!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I was very unimpressed with the characters and thought they were dull and lacking in personality. I also had a very difficult time getting into this book. I gave it the same rating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, for me, this book had a really fast pace, but as long as I'm fascinated by something, the pacing really doesn't bother me. Still, this is one of those subjects that fascinates me more than most. I loooove Greek mythology, and an author has to work really hard for me to be bored in that context.

    Anyway, I always struggle most with the meh reviews, so you're not alone in that.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!