October 22, 2013

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness: Book Review

A Monster CallsGenre: YA Fantasy/Horror
Publication Date: September 27th 2011
Series: Stand-alone
Rating: 5/5 stars
Source: Bought (paperback without illustrations and regretting it)
At seven minutes past midnight, thirteen-year-old Conor wakes to find a monster outside his bedroom window. But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting — he’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments.

The monster in his backyard is different. It’s ancient. And wild. And it wants something from Conor. Something terrible and dangerous. It wants the truth.

From the final idea of award-winning author Siobhan Dowd — whose premature death from cancer prevented her from writing it herself — Patrick Ness has spun a haunting and darkly funny novel of mischief, loss, and monsters both real and imagined. (via goodreads)
My Thoughts: I bought this book on impulse because of the amazing things I’ve read about it. I didn’t even read the synopsis, I just picked it up and paid for it. I loved this book so much but I partly regret not researching prior to buying A Monster Calls because I bought the un-illustrated version and I have been regretting it ever since.

The characters in this book are just amazing. I love Conor and bonus, male protagonists! He seems very relatable and I can connect to his feeling even if I don’t personally feel them myself (I hope that made sense). His family is also really interesting to read about. His mom seemed so sweet yet we feel really sad for her. Honestly, I don’t know how to accurately explain my feeling for this book so I’ll just include the little jot note points I have for this review.

WOO
I know we book bloggers have to keep a level of professionalism, but I couldn’t help myself. To sum up the notes, I loved this book. It was so interesting and unique. I really liked all the characters but I wish I  read the illustrated version. I wanted to finish this book all in one sitting but obviously I didn’t have the time for it. I loved how short this book was, it made the overall book interesting ALL THE TIME. I definitely recommend this book, everyone should read it as soon as possible. 

tumblr_m32lekmKxs1qimn5h

Have you read A Monster Calls? Did you also really enjoy it? *sorry if the picture discredited the reliability of this review but I had to include it, it is very accurate about what I truly feel about this book.

5 comments:

  1. Awh, it's a shame you didn't get the illustrated version, I love those type of books. So when I'm going to buy a copy, I'll make sure to look for the right one. Thanks for the warning! I hope to read it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make sure that if I ever buy this one I get it with the illustrations. So thanks for the heads up there. Also, this sounds like such a fun ready!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cover is so different! But for me, it doesn't really go with the book, though. Anyway, I tried reading this one but DNF it. I know, I know; I just wasn't in the mood for it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesss! I love this book. So sad that you read the version without the illustrations, but in a way I was happy because I was curious if the book could still be as powerful without them. Wait, does that make sense? Like, part of me was curious if the reason why this book was five stars was because it had such powerful illustrations that perfectly matched the text. It made me slightly concerned that you reading the version without the illustrations would have meant that the rating wouldn't be as high because it's not as powerful. Obviously that's not the case though because the writing is just as good as the illustrations and really can make you feel. But yes, go to the library and check out the illustrations because they are definitely worth it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I question why there even is an unillustrated version. I mean, who would want to own a book that was intended to be illustrated, but has all the illustrations removed? They were just beautiful and really added to the ambience of the book. (Sorry, I realize this might be considered rubbing it in; I feel really bad that you accidentally bought this version and missed out on the much prettier version. Maybe you could find a home for this one and buy the other one :D). The only thing I can think of is they wanted to make a cheaper version for people who want to save money; the illustrated version is printed on very fancy paper and likely costs much, much more to produce.

    But ANYWAYS. Actually, it's good to hear from someone who didn't read it with the illustrations - you STILL thought it was a powerful read based off of writing alone! And that's awesome. I'm so happy this was your first exposure to Patrick Ness and you loved it so much because he is absolutely one of my favourites (and I promise his writing is always powerful!). haha, LOVE your notes to yourself here - Exactly.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!