September 23, 2013

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon: Book Review

The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)
Genre: YA Fantasy & Dystopia (or is it an adult novel..?)
Publication Date: August 20th 2013
Rating: 3/5 stars
Source: Bought (and got it signed!)
It is the year 2059. Several major world cities are under the control of a security force called Scion. Paige Mahoney works in the criminal underworld of Scion London, part of a secret cell known as the Seven Seals. The work she does is unusual: scouting for information by breaking into others’ minds. Paige is a dreamwalker, a rare kind of clairvoyant, and in this world, the voyants commit treason simply by breathing.

But when Paige is captured and arrested, she encounters a power more sinister even than Scion. The voyant prison is a separate city—Oxford, erased from the map two centuries ago and now controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. These creatures, the Rephaim, value the voyants highly—as soldiers in their army.

Paige is assigned to a Rephaite keeper, Warden, who will be in charge of her care and training. He is her master. Her natural enemy. But if she wants to regain her freedom, Paige will have to learn something of his mind and his own mysterious motives.

The Bone Season introduces a compelling heroine—a young woman learning to harness her powers in a world where everything has been taken from her. It also introduces an extraordinary young writer, with huge ambition and a teeming imagination. Samantha Shannon has created a bold new reality in this riveting debut.
My Thoughts: I’ve been dying to read a fantasy novel (after my contemporary craze this summer) so I was super excited to read The Bone Season. I really really wanted to love this book but sadly, this book did not wow me.

The characters in this book were interesting. Usually, I hate female protagonists but I ended up liking Paige. Unlike a lot of female main characters, Paige is headstrong but a little unsure of herself. She also has the ability to enter people’s minds. I won’t try to explain her abilities otherwise this will quickly turn into an essay. The Bone Season is written through Paige’s point of view so I’m glad I don’t hate her. She was annoying at times (who isn’t?) but not enough to make me dislike her.  The Warden, our lead male main character, was very consistent (that’s the only word I can use to describe him). The Warden is also very mysterious but not mysterious enough to make us uneasy. I liked that he actually stayed mysterious and that he didn’t change drastically. In a lot of books, mysterious characters suddenly become “evolved” and extremely romantic but that didn’t happen in this case.

The romance in this book was slow and virtually nonexistent. I went into this book expecting something swoon-worthy (I think someone promised it, I can’t recall why I thought that) but nothing really happened romance-wise until the last couple of chapters. Near the end, the romance really picks up but it happened way too quickly. The whole book we are given not even one glimpse of romance so when the romance developed, I was shocked and a little confused. The setting and world-building of this book is phenomenal. To be honest, I’m not sure I fully understand the world-building, it’s that intricate. Basically, there are a few (or a lot) of people in the world who have abilities concerning the spirit world called the Aether. I’m not sure how to explain it but I think that’s the gist. There are so many different types of clairvoyants (that’s what the gifted-or diseased- people are called), I can’t seem to remember them all. The setting is so interesting and original , I think it deserves a rating of it’s own (5 stars!).

I seriously enjoyed this book and I can’t wait to read the next book. Although I really enjoyed this book, something doesn’t make me want to give it a higher rating. And that something’s my gut. I go by instinct when it comes to rating books and this time, my instincts are telling me this book is perfect at a rating of 3 stars. Overall, I found this book to be really interesting with well-written characters and a very original and unique setting.
tumblr_mjrwo50elv1s7ot0oo1_500

Have you read the Bone Season or are you still hesitant to read it? Tell me what you think below!

3 comments:

  1. This one has me intrigued! All the reviews keep it pretty hush hush and it makes me wonder what happens in the pages! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this one after I read that Samantha Shannon was supposed to be the next J K Rowling-I'm still hesitant to read. Hopefully it'll live up to it's hype.
    Thanks for sharing the lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I've heard mixed reviews about this one despite all the hype. I haven't read it however many of my friends had also complained of the confusing nature of the story, especially with the info-dumping at the beginning.
    I already have a copy of the book so I'll read it some day... eventually.

    http://www.readinginthedark.net/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!