September 7, 2013

Shelly Rambles: Being a Twin

At an attempt to make my blog more “me”, I decided to feature this week’s Shelly Rambles on an aspect of my personal life. As you can tell based on the title, I have a twin sister! Hold the applause and your gasps, I know, I know. You are probably thinking right now “I wish I had a twin!” but trust me, there are both pros and cons to this post.

This week: The Pros and Cons of Having a Twin

Con: People who know you have a twin 

eskpq8

     Being a twin is awesome, don’t get me wrong but sometimes it can be a bother. You can’t imagine how many times after discover I’m a twin, someone tell me “Wow, I thought you were just the same person but who changes a lot!” DO YOU KNOW HOW ANNOYING IT IS TO BE REFERRED TO AS THE SAME PERSON AS YOUR SIBLING? I find it so disrespectful and frankly, stupid. Also, every time me and my sister, Karen (I figured you might as well know her name, you know mine!), are together talking to a new person or a recent friend, this person would say “wow, I wish I had a twin! We’d switch places all the time.” Uhm, being a twin is not about getting to switch places with someone who looks like you. Me and Karen never switched places, not even on April Fools day. It is deeply disrespectful to even suggest that we would want to trade places for a few easy grades. Me and my sister have a thing that the Klingons call honour (sorry I had to add a Star Trek reference, I couldn’t resist!)

Pro: Best friend for life

high-five-wave

The one thing that I love about having a sister the same age as me, is having a best friend for life. Growing up together has made us really great friends. Sure we fight all the time like
Karen: I support your blogging why don’t you support my photography?!
Me (Shelly): How can I support you if you never show me your photos?

and so on but we usually get along super well. For example:
Karen: I just finished the Fall of Five! OMG Shelly, I am fuming right now!!! How could they end the book like that???
Shelly: UGH why would you tell me that? I need to know now! Tell me what happens!!
Karen: NO, you would me and yourself if you let me tell you
so you see, even though we don’t always get along, we still know each other so well. We share similar interests and we start watching tv shows online at the same time so we always compete to see who finishes the series first. (Karen finished Star Trek: The Next Generation first but I finished Community first, we are currently tied!)
Con: Birthdays

You Can't Do things like that!
After reading the title of this subsection, you are probably thinking “How can a birthday be a con?” Well, I love my birthday and I love sharing it with my sister but I don’t like how other people treat it. My birthday is coming up (October 6th-so mark your calendars!) but I am not really looking forward to reactions from people I know. Every one loves receiving birthday presents, right? The gift isn’t really the important part, it’s the thought that counts, right? And what do you think is the message when someone gets you and your sister a card & a gift to share?  I understand that we are lucky to be able to receive gifts from people we love but I must emphasize this point again and again. ME AND MY SISTER ARE NOT THE SAME PERSON. We are two unique individuals who happen to be born at the same time. It’s quite rude when someone assumes me and my sister can share everything. I know I should be complaining about this (it is really whiny) but honestly, I find it hurtful that people assume me and my sister are like a singular unit. We are a team, but we are neither clones nor copies of each other.We respect everyone's individualism, the least they can do is respect ours. I’m not complaining that I have to share a gift with my sister, I don’t mind sharing but what frustrates me is the point that a shared gift makes. To me, a shared gift says “I can’t really tell you guys apart and since you do everything together, a shared gift doesn’t make a different. It’ll just save me more time and energy.”
Pro: Growing up with a person who understands you
tumblr_mn0dczgXhv1s28omao2_500
This one is self-explanatory. Based on all my complaints, it’s nice to know I have at least one person who understands what I’m going through. It’s nice to know that I have someone who will support me through my rough times.

Con: Stereotypes

We have all heard the stereotypes before (some of them are prominent in books) but I would just like to say that “twin-telepathy” isn’t true. Sorry to burst your bubble but it’s true. I have never read my sister’s mind and I don’t know any other twins who can. People always assume that we can do “awesome stuff” like when one of us breaks our foot, the other one can feel it. It is so untrue and frankly, annoying. Also, some people assume we should switch classes and places all the time. We do not look the exact same and we act completely different. Once again, we are two separate and unique individuals, ok? tumblr_mpr0m9ZpHg1rcgigwo2_250

Despite all the cons, I still love having a twin sister and I can’t imagine life without her. If you’re reading this Karen (which you probably are), then I just want to say thanks for being a great sister.

Do you have any aspects of your life that you feel no one understands? Do you also have any stereotypes that you feel are very inaccurate. Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!