September 12, 2013

Rush by Eve Silver: Book Review

Rush (The Game, #1)Genre: YA Science Fiction
Publication Date: June 11th 2013
Rating: 3/5 stars
**This book was recommended to me by my secret buddy for September Secret Readers. Click the link to learn more about it.

So what’s the game now? This, or the life I used to know?

When Miki Jones is pulled from her life, pulled through time and space into some kind of game—her carefully controlled life spirals into chaos. In the game, she and a team of other teens are sent on missions to eliminate the Drau, terrifying and beautiful alien creatures. There are no practice runs, no training, and no way out. Miki has only the guidance of secretive but maddeningly attractive team leader Jackson Tate, who says the game isn’t really a game, that what Miki and her new teammates do now determines their survival, and the survival of every other person on this planet. She laughs. He doesn’t. And then the game takes a deadly and terrifying turn.

My Thoughts: I’ve been wanting to read this book for quite a long time so when it was recommended to me, I jumped at the chance to finally have a reason to read Rush. To be honest, I was expecting a typical dystopian/sci-fi novel but that isn’t what I got.

The setting of this book was unique. Basically, teens near death are pulled from the scene of their death and are taken to this place nicknamed The Game. These teens must attack aliens and kill as many as possible to gain points and to survive. After a little adventure, the teens are then dropped back in their worlds the exact second they left. Now that I type this out, it could cause over-aging but that was never really addressed, I wonder if it will come up in the sequel. Anyway, as you can see, the general concept and back-story is pretty interesting. I think I would be more interested in this book if the characters matched up to the interesting concept.

Miki is a typical main character for dystopian novels. She’s pretty normal but a little more in touch with her sad and emotional side but other than that,she assumes she’s fairly normal. That is, until something drastic happens that forces her to re-examine herself (seem familiar? Yes, because this concept is in almost all YA novels). Despite her apparent smartness, the other characters over-explain everything to her and Miki can’t seem to connect past events to stuff that’s currently going on in the present. It was really annoying to sit through so many flashbacks & over-explanations that I remembered very clearly. Miki also can’t seem to understand the other characters. When two characters glare at each other in attempts to show off their dominance, Miki can’t understand what’s going on. It doesn’t take a genius to read facial expressions!

The romance in this book was very conflicting. At first, I thought there would be an annoying love triangle but that quickly turned into an annoying sappy romance. I’m not complaining, sappy is better than conflicting love triangles but I didn’t like that it was unclear. I guess it was hard to distinguish between friend and more-than-friend signals coming off from a certain character (not going to name names!). Another thing that irked me was the main character’s back-story. Miki lost her mother but instead of really playing on the loss, she butchers it a little. Instead of being sad and lonely, she talks about how she feels that she’s being sucked into a black hole of despair. Furthermore, I saw the big dramatic plot twist coming. When it happened, I just laughed and yelled “HA”. It was strange, but the ending was even more predictable.

Dystopian novels all end the same and this book was no different. Something really dramatic and suspenseful happens and we flip the page and……. cliffhanger. These books never end properly. I understand that they create the need to read the next book but now I feel that I have to read the sequel to Rush even though I didn’t enjoy it as much. Overall, this book had a very interesting setting but the main character and a predictable plot twist ruined it.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I definitely had the same issues that you did about the romance. I gave Rush two stars, and I'm probably not reading Push, the sequel, but I think the cover reveal of it's going to be sometime soon in the next few weeks. But yeah, Miki was kind of dumb, too. I'm sorry you didn't love this one, though.

    Fantastic review, though! <33

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!