September 2, 2013

If I Stay by Gayle Forman: Book Review

If I Stay (If I Stay #1)
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Publication Date: April 2nd 2009
Rating: 5/5 stars
Source: Bought
On a day that started like any other,
Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, admiring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. In an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left. It is the most important decision she'll ever make.

Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting, and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.
My Thoughts: I bought this book knowing that I would sob uncontrollably and that in the end, it would have been all worth it. I’m glad to say that my prediction came true & that I will definitely be reading the sequel to If I Stay. This book focuses on Mia, a seemingly normal girl with a quirky but loving family. As Mia and her family are driving to visit Mia’s grandparents, a truck hits their car and Mia’s parents instantly die. Now Mia has a choice, should she stay in a world without her family or should she persevere through it?

I thought the plot of If I Stay was well written. Readers are taken through the crash that destroyed Mia’s world and a series of flashbacks. I found the flashbacks to be the most interesting part of the book. The flashbacks show Mia’s family and how amazing they were to her. The flashbacks also introduce us to Adam, Mia’s boyfriend. I also really enjoyed the musical elements in this book. Mia was a cello player and her music was a big part of who she was. Even though the plot of this book was unique, it was still very sad. I am not afraid to admit that I started to tear up only on page 27.

The romance of this book was actually believable. Unlike most books, there was no “instalove” and the characters actually grew to like each other versus other books where the main characters just look at each other and instantly declare their love.  To say the romance was cute, would we an understatement. The romance was more swoon-worthy than cute. I thought that the flashbacks provided a cute element to all the romance.

Even though this book is considered contemporary romance, I think the main message focuses on the importance of family. I love my family and couldn’t imagine life without them (as in Mia’s case) and I think that made me relate to the book a lot more. Despite the cute romance, I still like to think that If I Stay teaches readers the importance of family & music. This book will make you tear up but it will also have you swooning. Overall, this book is a great read for people who enjoy a little variety in their books.

1 comment:

  1. This book is one of my favorites! I read while I traveling last summer and I pretty much cried on planes, trains and boats. I was that girl and I loved every bit of it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!