September 5, 2013

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick: Book Review

Forgive Me, Leonard PeacockGenre: YA Contemporary
Publication Date: August 1st 2013
Rating: 5/5 stars
Source: Bought
In addition to the P-38, there are four gifts, one for each of my friends. I want to say good-bye to them properly. I want to give them each something to remember me by. To let them know I really cared about them and I'm sorry I couldn't be more than I was—that I couldn't stick around—and that what's going to happen today isn't their fault.
Today is Leonard Peacock's birthday. It is also the day he hides a gun in his backpack. Because today is the day he will kill his former best friend, and then himself, with his grandfather's P-38 pistol.

But first he must say good-bye to the four people who matter most to him: his Humphrey Bogart-obsessed next-door neighbor, Walt; his classmate Baback, a violin virtuoso; Lauren, the Christian homeschooler he has a crush on; and Herr Silverman, who teaches the high school's class on the Holocaust. Speaking to each in turn, Leonard slowly reveals his secrets as the hours tick by and the moment of truth approaches.

In this riveting book, acclaimed author Matthew Quick unflinchingly examines the impossible choices that must be made—and the light in us all that never goes out.
My Thoughts: I put off writing this review for about a week because I have no idea how to write a review that will explain how wonderful and touching this book is. I figure I might as well start with a gif that explains my thoughts (and probably everyone’s thoughts).troy_zpsf46b80c0
I sobbed throughout the whole book, I was literally sitting in my chair with tears streaming down my face. Usually, I would take that as a bad sign. I read books to escape the pressure of real life but sometimes we all need to realize that we can’t escape reality. I think the main reason I enjoyed Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock was the main message. This book contains such a phenomenal main message but I won’t tell you what it is, you have to read the book & discover it for yourself.
The main characters of this book were all well-written. My favourite would have to be Herr Silverman, who is one Leonard’s teachers. If this character actually existed, he would be high up on my respect chart (I judge people based on how much I respect them, not how much I like them). Herr Silverman has to be the best side-character I’ve read in a while. My only complaints were that Lauren, the Christian homeschooled girl, acted very annoying and she was too "preachy” (for lack of a better word). This made her seem completely unrealistic and unrelatable.

I felt that what I liked most about this book, was how sad it was. I don’t usually enjoy books that make me feel upset, but I enjoyed this about this book. I really connected with the main character and I really enjoyed this book. I also liked that the bottom of each page provided readers with footnotes full on anecdotes written by the main character. I really loved this book & I recommend it too everyone I know. I agree with what Jay Asher said in his blurb of the book- “I will not forget Leonard Peocock. I love this book.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!