September 10, 2013

Every Day by David Levithan: Book Review

Every DayGenre: YA Fantasy Romance
Publication Date: August 28th 2012
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Source: Bought
Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl.
There’s never any warning about where it will be or who it will be. A has made peace with that, even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

It’s all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with—day in, day out, day after day.
My Thoughts: I’m not one for romance but with a premise this good, I couldn’t resist! Who wouldn’t want to read a book in which the main character changes bodies every day? I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to read this book and so I had to purchase it.

Before I start, I should mention that while I really enjoyed the idea behind the book, I was always confused about its genre until I read it on Goodreads. Don’t get me wrong, this does not deteriorate from my overall feelings of the book, I was just unsure how to categorize it. I really liked the main character in this book. As a person who changes bodies everyday, he/she/it identifies him/her/itself as A (I think I’ll address the main character as a ‘he’ for now). A had an interesting outlook on his life. I am blanking out here (I read it 2 weeks ago!) but I am sure it had something to do with not wasting our lives and enjoying what we have. Although A is a very interesting character, I couldn’t help but feel sad for him. He never grew up with a family and as much as he wanted to stay in the same body, he always woke up in a new one. One thing I also admired about A was his moral compass. He never tried to mess up anyone’s life and he never tried to force someone to change (unless they were a threat to themselves or society). He never acted suspiciously and he was careful.

With such a great character, I was expecting a great romance to accompany it. Sadly, the romance was not as great as the character development. I am not saying that the romance was terrible (it was good) but it just didn’t wow me and it didn’t make me swoon. At first, I found the lovey-dovey stuff annoying. I thought the romance moved a little fast but I decided to overlook it considering A doesn’t spend a lot of time in one body. The romance was a little too emphasized at some points but overall, it was nice. The plot of this plot (and the main conflict) were also very interesting. I was expecting your average romantic story. Girl and boy fall in love and somehow find a way to stay together. I’m not going to say that’s what happens but I will say that the plot of this book really shocked me. Besides romantic and fantasy elements, this book had some amazing suspenseful moments. I was on the edge of my seat and I had a million questions running through my mind!

Even though this book had an interesting plot and it had some nice romantic elements, I would like to learn more about A’s origins. The book doesn’t really describe how or why he keeps changing bodies and the ending leaves a cliffhanger that I want to get answered! Sadly, there is no sequel but a novella featuring 6 earlier days from A’s point of view were published. I think I’ll read the novella and see how it goes. I really enjoyed this book but I didn’t like some of the romance elements and I wish the book provided more information on A’s origins. I strongly recommend this book (even to non-romance readers).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!