August 10, 2013

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand: Book Review

Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)
Publication Date: January 4th 2011
Genre: YA paranormal romance
Rating: 3/5 stars
Source: library
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.
My Thoughts: Usually after reading a very disappointing book, I would rant about it non-stop but in this case, I'm just too tired to rant. Most of my complaints are major plot points in the book so I'll just give my reasons without really explaining a lot of it due to spoiler alerts.

The plot of this book was fairly cliche. However, I did enjoy the elements where readers learn about Clara's life as an angel. I didn't like the love triangle elements though the romance was cute at certain points. I just wish the book focused a little more on the angle side versus the love triangle. Also, the love triangle and angel stuff is too interconnected to make this book anything more than a paranormal romance book. Which sucks, a lot. I did feel that the angel elements made the book a little religious, you could say, but it's to be expected. These are angels we are talking about. Another thing I didn't like was that we don't really get to read a lot about Clara's brother and her best friend. First, her brother acts a little mysterious and he's also developing his angel powers. Which means his vision is coming along soon, and I think that he's hiding it from his sister (a.k.a actually interesting stuff). Next, her best friend goes on a trip to meet some Italian hottie who I basically know is trouble but no, we don't get to read about that. We have to suffer through Clara professing her love (yes, she claims to be in love) to someone she barely knows.

Now be prepared to read a long rant. Let's talk about the romance. First I just want to state that all love triangles are the same. The main character has to choose between a popular nice guy who surprises her and a sweet country boy that makes her feel comfortable. And in this case, those are the love interests. The popular one is Christian (a.k.a the guy she sees in her vision) and the country one is Tucker (a.k.a Clara's best friends twin brother). While reading the romance in this book, I wanted to chuck the book at the wall-repeatedly. The romance in this book sucks. I understand all the hype over Tucker vs. Christian but no just no. The love interests are just so unrealistic. I'm sorry, there is not a perfect boy factory somewhere in the world, characters have to make mistakes (Christian messed up but Clara got over it as soon as she saw his "hot" face so... it doesn't count). Also, Clara quickly makes her decision and professes her love but she barely knows both guys. I'm sorry but if I ever told someone I love them, I'm pretty sure I'd wait until I knew him at least for at least 6 months-year of dating. I don't know about you, but hanging out as friends a couple of times and dating for 3 weeks does not constitute love. In general, this love triangle business gets annoying, quickly.

Now you are probably wondering my 3 star rating. Although this book does seem fairly annoying and I did not enjoy it due to unnecessary love triangle business, I feel that a 3 star rating is appropriate. The romance is annoying  but the paranormal stuff is actually quite interesting. Overall, this book has a very annoying love triangle with interesting paranormal elements. I would have liked to read more about minor characters but it can't be helped. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read romance novels with a twist.

All my feelings summarized in one gif:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!