August 22, 2013

Struck by Lightning: Movie Review


Struck by Lightning (2012) Poster


Watched: August 20th, 2o13
Release Date: January 11, 2013
Genre: Comedy/Drama
Cast: Rebel Wilson, Chris Colfer, Dermont Mulroney and many more
Rating: 3.7/5 star

Hey guys, I thought I’d do something new and try to do a movie review - I don’t have a lot of time to finish Seraphina but I’m working on it! I recently watched Struck by Lightning (the movie based on the book by Chris Colfer). I haven’t read the book *gasps* but I don’t have a lot of time to read the book but the movie is only an hour and a half s0 I did save myself some time. You are probably thinking “but Shelly, the books are different than the movies. The books are also 100x better, everyone knows that!” and you’re right, I am aware of that. But the author of Struck by Lightning also wrote the screenplay and played the main character so I’m pretty sure this movie is flaw-free (when it comes to reproducing the book)!
I wanted to watch this movie/read the book ever since I found out about it. Chris Colfer writes a book and makes it into a movie and casts himself? I needed to know what this was all about. I wasn’t sure what to expect with this movie. Knowing that it’s supposed to be a coming-of-age movie, I was sceptical to say the least. I am not a very big fan of coming-of-age movies (which is why to this day, I have not watched Perks of Being a Wallflower due to my fear of it ruining the book and due to my fear of coming-of-age movies. Oh and Emma Watson’s American accent, I can’t bear it!). ANYWAY, that was way off topic but so I wanted to watch the movie so badly I was willing to put up with the coming-of-age stuff. Anyway, this movie starts off with the main character dying. I was so shocked. I thought that struck by lightning was a metaphor! (To clarify, the main character actually gets struck by lightning into the first 5 minutes of the movie).  So that was a shock. After that happened, viewers are shown a series of sad and short flashbacks that include family struggle. Flash to present day, the rest of the movie is spent showing how Carson Phillips manages to blackmail his peers into submitting something for his literary magazine that he has to make in order to get into the university of his choice.
I thought this movie would be full of clichés and annoying characters-which it was- but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I was expected mediocre acting and a predictable plot but that didn’t happen. Sure the plot was typical to some degree (head cheerleader is snobby & the jocks are dumb) but other than that, the plot was fairly decent. The characters in this movie, however, were kind of predictable and lacked depth. I would have liked to see more character development  but I guess I need to read the book for that. Even with a somewhat typical plot and cliché characters, the actors were excellent. Especially Carson Phillips mom. That actress was amazing and totally convincing! The ending of this movie actually made me tear up and I really enjoyed it. Overall, this movie is worth watching if you have time to kill but it’s not really a movie you must see.
Did you read Struck by Lightning or watch the movie? Do you think I should post movie reviews more often-maybe once a week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!