August 20, 2013

Shelly Rambles: Challenges in Writing Book Reviews


I have a lot of stuff I feel the need to rant about so I thought it's time for another Shelly Rambles. Basically this is a weekly/bi-weekly post where I get to express all my inner feelings.

This Week: Challenges in Writing Book Reviews

As much as I love writing reviews, it can sometimes be a bother. Some challenges that I have frequently are:
*I thought it would be super awesome to add gifs that summarize my feelings towards each challenge. Enjoy :)

Being frustrated at a plot point that I can't reveal due to massive spoilers

It really sucks when I need to rant about something in a book but I can't because I don't want to give the whole book away. It is really terrible because half the things that annoy me in books are the big plot twists (a.k.a major spoilers).

Organizing my thoughts so I make total sense

It is so challenging to organize my thoughts when writing reviews. I have to edit my reviews at least 10 times before publishing them. Everytime something terrible happens in a book the first thing that pops into my mind is a bunch of swear words not the best way to explain it in a review. So it's really challening explaining why I hated a certain part of the book when all I can remember is a bunch of throwing books of my shelves.
                                         

Using  complex vocabulary

It's really hard for me to organize my thoughts without using standard words such as interesting and unique (I use these words a lot). Seriously, if you look at my reviews, I use the same words over and over again.

Creating witty/snarky comments

A symbol of a great reviewer is their use of snide remarks. I have no sense of humour when it comes to book reviewing so my reviews always sound bland (in my mind).

Writing a negative review without criticizing the author.

Writing a book is hard, I understand, which really makes me hate writing bad reviews. I understand that not everyone will like a certain book but I always feel a little guilty when I don't like a book. It's also really hard to write why I don't like something about a book without offending the author. I don't want to sound mean but it's really hard not to.
                                                   

What are some challenges you have with writing book reviews?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!