August 13, 2013

Promised by Caragh O'Brien: Book Review

Promised (Birthmarked, #3)
Genre: Young Adult Dystopia
Publication Date: October 2nd 2012
Series: Birthmarked Trilogy #3
(Reviews for other books in the series here)
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
Source: Library
After defying the ruthless Enclave, surviving the wasteland, and upending the rigid matriarchy of Sylum, Gaia Stone now faces her biggest challenge ever.  She must lead the people of Sylum back to the Enclave and persuade the Protectorat to grant them refuge from the wasteland.  In Gaia's absence, the Enclave has grown more cruel, more desperate to experiment on mothers from outside the wall, and now the stakes of cooperating or rebelling have never been higher.  Is Gaia ready, as a leader, to sacrifice what--or whom--she loves most? (via goodreads)
My Thoughts: To be honest, I'm kind of sad that the Birthmarked Trilogy is over. This interesting series was a mix between science fiction and dystopia. I really enjoyed finishing the series but I was hoping for a happier ending.

The plot of this book was interesting. After reading the second book of this series with all its wishy-washy love square nonsense (that's right, square) , I was ready to read a happier ending to this sad series. Boy, was I wrong! Although Promised did have a fairly pleasant ending, as with other dystopian books, something always goes wrong. Luckily, all the problems were unexpected and did not hinder my liking of the book. As mentioned before, the romance of this book was much better than that of the second book. In the second book, readers had to suffer through a love square in which Gaia must choose between 3 equally impressive men. Having finally made her choice (not saying who), readers have the opportunity to swoon with the best of them.

The ending of this book was a little sad. I was hoping for a happy ending but that really didn't happen. As usual, the series ends with a cute romantic scene in which the characters gaze of into the sunset and reflect on how improved their lives are. Pretty typical stuff. Although I enjoyed the romance elements and the plot was very interesting, I didn't love this series. I recommend it to any dystopian lovers but it is not on my top favourites. The Birthmarked trilogy is very well-written and interesting but it lacks a certain spark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!