August 3, 2013

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz: Book Review

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Publication Date: February 21st 2012
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Source: Library
A lyrical novel about family and friendship from critically acclaimed author Benjamin Alire Sáenz.

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about  themselves and the kind of people they want to be. (via goodreads)
Review: If I could choose two words to describe this book I would use: simply amazing. Seriously, this book was so great. I couldn't tear myself away.This book covers all basic elements found in a coming of age novel: love, your body, family and emotions. It was really interesting to read a coming of age novel set in 1987 El Paso, Texas. The main characters were well-written and their character development was outstanding. I actually understood all the characters and their actions seemed consistent. While reading this book, I remembered why I hate contemporary novels. They are either so amazing that my frail mind can`t handle it (as in this case) or they are so terrible that I want to hurl the book violently. However, I am really glad I gave this book a chance, I really liked it.
Overall
- I really enjoyed reading this book even though it's not one of my favourite novels
- I couldn't tear myself away
- Classic coming of age novel
- Main characters and setting well-written
- Officially one of my favourites

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read this series for a while now. I see that a lot of people just love it. I didn't realize it was a contemporary novel. The cover makes it look like it is going to be a fantasy or something (well because of the font). I need to pick this up soon!

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean! The font is so much like the one in The Assassin's Curse it's confusing! I hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!