July 25, 2013

Hourglass by Myra McEntire: Book Review

Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)
Rating: 4/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads): One hour to rewrite the past . . .  

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should've happened?
Review: By now, it is pretty well established in my reviews (well, it should be) that I love anything that has to do with time or space travel. This book falls under the amazing category of time travel, I don't want to mention to much about it but basically this book is right up my ally. I loved the authors take on time travel, it was really interesting to read. It did remind me a little of Julie Cross's Tempest but the concept was still very original. I tend to follow my intuition and just after reading the summary for this book, I knew that I'd love it (and of course, I was right). Now that my basic impressions are done, let's get down to the details. I enjoyed how the main characters were written. We meet Emeron (a.k.a Em) and she seems like a pretty normal girl except she's plagued by mysterious visions. It's all pretty self-explanatory from there. I really enjoyed how unlike in most books, Em was not very bad-ass and she was not a strong heroine. It made the book seem more relatable and a little more realistic (in my opinion). I also enjoyed the other characters. I would love to have a brother as nice as Thomas (he was a little overprotective but that is highly understandable). Now, onto the romance. The beginning of this book was a full 5 stars, the romance was so cute and made me want to squeal but then comes the middle of the book. In the middle of the book, readers are introduced to Michael's best friend and potential love interest Kaleb. I seriously adored Michael, if only guys like that existed in real life (just sayin') but Kaleb really rubbed me the wrong way. Kaleb is basically the opposite of Michael (which sucks). This new love triangle really pissed me off. The author already established a very cute and nice romance but she has to go and complicate for everyone. That's why I bumped my rating down, love triangles do not mix with time travel. Now, onto the actual book. This book was definitely interesting and unpredictable. Despite all the unpredictability, this book was not very surprising. As the big plot twist was revealed, my only thought was "I knew it." The plot twist was not surprising but it was interesting. Overall, Hourglass is an amazing book. It has some really cute romance elements but the love triangle is very annoying. I was a little disappointed by the big plot twist but I will definitely be reading the next book (the next book is in the point of view of Kaleb-I don't like him but he is a hell of a character)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!