June 24, 2013

Sky on Fire by Emmy Laybourne: Book Review

Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)
*this novel is a sequel to Monument 14
Rating: 5/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads):Trapped in a superstore by a series of escalating disasters, including a monster hailstorm and terrifying chemical weapons spill, brothers Dean and Alex learned how to survive and worked together with twelve other kids to build a refuge from the chaos. But then strangers appeared, destroying their fragile peace, and bringing both fresh disaster and a glimmer of hope.

Knowing that the chemical weapons saturating the air outside will turn him into a bloodthirsty rage monster, Dean decides to stay in the safety of the store with Astrid and some of the younger kids. But their sanctuary has already been breached once. . . .

Meanwhile, Alex, determined to find their parents, heads out into the darkness and devastation with Niko and some others in a recently repaired school bus. If they can get to Denver International Airport, they might be evacuated to safety. But the outside world is even worse than they expected. . . .
Review: I was super excited to read this novel after reading positive reviews about it and I am so pleased to say that I was not at all disappointed. This book in fact exceeded my expectations. For once, I do not have a single negative thing to say. First, I really loved the point of view of this book. In this novel, the POV is split between 2 characters and I thought that this really helped move the story along. Throughout the book, I was on the edge of my seat. This book was very thrilling and it seemed to have very realistic elements. I also really enjoyed the character developments. In the first book, we only learn about Dean (the protagonist) because the book is set up as if it is him writing everything that is happening but in the second book, readers get to see a glimpse of some of the other characters with better clarity. I personally also enjoyed the book purely because of the emotions I've felt. I laughed, cried, gasped and yelled all while reading this book ( I have very strong emotions when it comes to books). Furthermore, I was very pleased with the way the book captured every element of a great novel: action, suspense, grief and a little romance. I have to admit, the romance element was a little unusual and not to my liking but everything else was so great I don't even mind. I also really enjoyed the ending. It was a satisfying ending but the cliffhanger at the end makes me want to read the next book very badly. Overall, this book is a must-read and I am looking forward to reading the sequel.

I just read on Emmy Laybourne's website that a movie of Monument 14 is in the process. I'm not sure if I should be excited or scared.As a book I can handle it but I feel that as a movie it would have a little too much gore for me (this is a post-apocalyptic book after all).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!