June 22, 2013

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo: Book Review

Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
*this book is a sequel to Shadow and Bone
Rating: 3/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads):Darkness never dies. 

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her–or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.
Review: I was very excited to read this book. After attending the Fierce Reads book tour, I was really looking forward to finally reading this book. Sadly, I was a little disappointed. I am also feeling quite torn between choosing to love or hate this book. The first book of this series was amazing. The author created an amazing world full of magic and religion and I'm pleased to say that this book had these elements too. However, some other elements in the story were not to my liking. I will start by saying things I liked versus things I didn't like. As I mentioned before, I really like the setting of the novel. The writing in the book is very clear and I can practically feel the atmosphere of each scene. I also liked the introduction of new characters. The new characters were really well developed and very well written. Now onto the things I didn't enjoy as much. Firstly, I did not like Alina as much in this book. Throughout the book, she kept changing her mind and she acted quite unpleasant. I did not like her character development, I thought the book was going in a direction I didn't even want to consider. Another thing I didn't like was the romances. There were too many romances, it seemed like the author was trying to make a love pentagon! Another thing I did not really like was that one of my favourite characters didn't have a big involvement in the book. I loved Genya's role in the first book but sadly, readers didn't get to see much of her in the sequel. Furthermore, I felt the plot was a little too predictable. Girl runs away with boy, girl and boy get captured, girl and boy get rescued, girl fights to save the kingdom, etc. It was way too typical and predictable. Overall, I enjoyed the setting and the introduction of new characters but I did not enjoy the predictable plot, all the romances and the main character. I am going to be reading the sequel because I want to see what the author has in store for readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!