June 15, 2013

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo : Book Review

Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1)
Rating: 5/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads):
The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?
Review: I was really looking forward to reading this book based on all the great reviews that I've read and I am really pleased to say that this book did not disappoint. This book was a mix between fantasy and dystopia (in my opinion) and it combined two of my favourite elements in a book: a really cute romance & people with supernatural abilities. This book also had a strong heroine but she did sort of remind me of Katniss (from the Hunger Games), it was a little weird but I think it was just my perception of the main character. The ending of the book was not a very big cliffhanger but I can't wait to read the sequel. Overall, this book was a fantastic read and I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy and dystopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!