June 13, 2013

Dominion by Melody Manful: Book Review

Dominion (Guardian Angels, #1)
Rating: 2/5 stars
Summary (via goodreads):
I Dare You.
 Look Over Your Shoulders.
Do You See Them?
They are behind you...
They are always behind you.

Abigail Cells had a nightmare the day before she met Gideon, the new guy in school who has every girl drooling just to be near him. In her nightmare, she was murdered by a magical creature. As she gets to know Gideon, she begins to remember pieces of her nightmare, and was shocked when Gideon turned out to be the creature from her nightmare. Who is Gideon really? Should Abby allow herself to fall completely for him, or is he the next disaster waiting to happen?
Review: *this review contains spoilers* I tried to not include spoilers, it can't be avoided. To get my opinion across, I need to spoil some parts of the book.
Although the summary does not really state this, the book basically focuses on two main characters. One of them is Gideon. To sum it all up, Gideon is the most evil angel ever (strangely) and he wants nothing more than to kill Abigail but something it stopping him, could it be love? Well, I won't ruin it but that it what the majority of the book focuses on. I have several things to say about this books so I'll just list things I liked. I liked the main character (Gideon). Although he is such a evil and despicable guy, who doesn't love a badass who starts to become less evil? I also really liked Tristan (the most angelic guy of all time), he was the complete opposite of Gideon which made this book really interesting. I also liked the sub plot. Now your probably asking, then why the low rating? Let me just make it clear that although some parts of the books are enjoyable, I did not like the majority of the book. First off, the writing. This book is self-published and it lacked a good editor. I feel that if this book got published by a great company, the book itself would make more sense. For example, when Gideon and Abigail started having feelings for each other, instead of being normal people and saying "I'm starting to like ___" they went all out and admitted that they were in love with each other. To me, that was really weird. They only knew each other for about 3 weeks and that does not happen in real life. Furthermore, Abigail was such a weak heroine. She honestly tried to be brave but sadly she's weak. She spent a week moping about her father (not even crying) but as soon as she learns that Gideon was somehow involved in her father's death (he's evil) she cries an entire river. She didn't even shed tears for her dad but she shed tears for some guy she's met 3 weeks ago even though she's unsure if he's human or not. Totally not ok. Also, the ending was also total crap. Abigail and Gideon are happily dating when she suddenly decides that she could also have feelings for Tristan. She and Gideon have an intense make out session then she tells him that she and Tristan almost kissed. She does this knowing that Gideon kills for fun! What kind of an idiot does that. She should be well aware that Gideon would become murderous and that she shouldn't say anything because they ALMOST kissed. NOTHING EVEN HAPPENED! She was being completely stupid. When Gideon got jealous and didn't want to help save Tristan (don't ask), she was shocked and angry. Obviously, your boyfriend isn't going to help save his arch nemesis that you almost cheated on him with. Be realistic! What also annoyed me is in the beginning of every chapter, the author put her own quotes that included "Today I blinked and accidentally fell in love". I'm sorry but those quotes make no sense to the plot line and have no relevancy in your book. Overall, with a great publisher and a good editor this book would have been more promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to read your opinion. Comment away!